What is the Kickstart Scheme?
The UK Kickstart Scheme is a £2 billion government-funded campaign that aims to provide support for young people seeking employment across all industries and sectors.
By creating new employer grants, the campaign aims to encourage employers to join a national effort to get young people into employment. The Kickstart Scheme provides a six-month paid placement for young people between the ages of 16-24 who are currently in receipt of Universal Credit and/or at risk of long-term unemployment.
How does the Kickstart Program Work
The Kickstart Employment Scheme applies to anyone aged 16-24 claiming universal credit, however, each vacancy must meet certain criteria in order to qualify for funding.
The job placements created with funding from the Kickstart programme must be new jobs. They must not:
Replace existing or planned vacancies
Cause existing employees or contractors to lose or reduce their employment
- Be a minimum of 25 hours per week, for 6 months
- Pay at least the National Minimum Wage or the National Living Wage for the employee’s age group
- Only require basic training
For each job placement, you must help the young person to increase their employability, such as:
- Helping them to search for long-term work
- Offering career advice and setting goals
- Support writing their curriculum vitae (CV) and interview preparations
- Developing their skills in the workplace
Kickstart funding is available for employers through the aforementioned grants which cover:
- 100% of the National Minimum Wage (or the National Living Wage depending on the age of the participant) for 25 hours per week for a total of 6 months
- The associated employer National Insurance contributions
- The employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
Participating businesses will also receive a £1,500 incentive per job placement to cover job setup, support and training, which we can help deliver through our employability package, including:
- A pre-employment program before the person starts with you, which is fully funded by us.
- Employability support throughout the six-month programme
- A dedicated account manager who will help you through every stage of the process
- We have access to over 130 online free courses all offered at no additional cost to yourself (some worth up to £1000!)
- At the end of 6 months, we can provide advice on the next steps for the participant, including progression into an apprenticeship, retaining the person or supporting them in alternative work
How do I apply for the Kickstart Scheme?
If you are looking to create fewer than 30 Kickstart jobs, you need to apply through a Kickstart Gateway such as the Source Academy. This is where we can step in and support you.
To register interest or for more information, complete the form below today or email email@example.com and help Kickstart a young person’s career that will benefit your organisation.
Click the link below for an example application:
Complete the form below today and help Kickstart a young person’s career that will benefit your organisation: